Keeping Your Baby Comfortable and Safe
If you have a child, you will know how stressful sleep is. Not for your baby, as babies love sleeping, but for you. There is so much conflicting advice in terms of what is and what isn’t safe for your baby, and all parents are worried about SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), which has been observed to always happen during sleep.
All that stress can affect your baby as well, who will pick up on your negative vibes. This is why you need something that is comfortable for them, while also being safe. In so doing, you will find something that you can feel equally comfortable with, and everybody can enjoy the blissfulness of sleep. In comes the DockATot, a trademarked product designed by Cloudtot.
The DockATot comes in a range of models (more on that later) and all of them will leave your baby super comfortable in a reliable lounging position. The DockATots have been designed for babies from 0 to 36 months. They have been designed so that parents can also sleep peacefully; to let babies spend time on their tummy while supervised; to play, snuggle, have naps, or change their nappies; or any other time when, for whatever reason, you cannot hold your child. The DockATot Grand is the larger model, which is perfect for toddlers, who can sleep in them overnight. Not just that, you can use the DockATot to help your baby transition from crib to bed. Plus, as a portable and lightweight device, it will simply go wherever you go, and you will be secure in the knowledge that your child will be safe and cozy and not exposed to any toxins.
What makes it so special is that it effectively mimics the feeling of being in the womb. Furthermore, it improves the Moro reflex, which is the startle reflex that babies sometimes need in order to wake up. It is this in particular that may help prevent SIDS as well. The sides and the bottom of the DockATot are air permeable, which means that even if babies turn over or roll on their side, they’ll be able to breathe. Naturally, it is always advisable for babies to be in the supine position, which is the official recommendation to prevent SIDS, but now parents don’t have to worry about babies rolling over and getting suffocated anymore. Additionally, if parents choose to co-sleep, then the fact that the DockATot bed has firm and high bumpers means that they don’t run the risk of rolling onto their babies either.
Parents who have used the DockATot are also impressed with the portability of the bed, which even has handles attached to it. Babies sleep for long periods during the day, after all, and this means that they can also sleep comfortably and safely, no matter where they are.
Features of DockATot
The DockATot is designed with a number of key features:
- It reinvents the womb, which means that babies feel soothed, comfortable, and snug when they are in bed. It also means that they can lounge, play, and rest as much as they want.
- It is highly portable because it is lightweight.
- It allows for tummy time because the rounded sides can be placed under the baby’s arms, thereby propping them up. It is important for babies to have tummy time, as this is when they develop more motor skills and neck strength as well. Tummy time must at all times be supervised, however.
- It helps babies transition into bigger beds, such as toddler beds, ensuring that they are snug and secure.
- It creates a microclimate that is incredibly comfortable for babies. The fabrics are fully hygienic and they do not harbor heat.
One of the key things that really sets the DockATot apart is the company’s commitment to safety. The bed is:
- Machine washable
- OEKO-TEX certified, which is a textile certification
- Made in Europe
- Free from harmful substances
- Non-heat absorbing
The DockATot does not, however, prevent babies from rolling over. This is because the ability to roll over is natural, and so long as the baby is awake and supervised, it should be encouraged. Babies should sleep on their backs until they are around eight months old, however. Bedding, meanwhile, should also be safe. Wearable bedding is the safest, including sleeping bags.
The material of the DockATot does not harbor heat. This is one of its strongest features that has been tested in-house and independently. This means that babies do not sweat excessively as a result of their own body heat. This keeps them more comfortable, and also safer.
Furthermore, the product meets numerous safety standards and has a number of certifications. The company is committed to safety and they taking this very seriously. Hence, they have achieved standards for the different components of the device. While there are now a number of DockATot copies, none of them have met this level of safety certification. The real DockATot has been tested in Canada, the US, and Europe, and it meets the following standards:
- Class 1 Oeko-Tex certification, Standard 100, which means that the textile has been tested for harmful substances. This certification has been obtained for the sewing thread, the pull tab, the zipper, the buckle, the nylon strap, the pad wadding, the tube fibers, the protective sleeve fabric, the non-woven liner fabric, and the cover fabric.
- The US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008
- Tension tested for ‘Normal and reasonably foreseeable use and abuse’
- Tube air permeability according to BS4578
- Resistant to ignition according to BS5852
- 16 CRF 1632 flammability testing
- Phthalate testing: Small parts and use and abuse testing under 16 CFR 1500.50
- Heavy metal testing
- ASTM F-963-11
- California Bulletins 116 and 117 flammability testing
- California Proposition 65
- 16 CFR PART 1500.53(f) (1-1-12) (CAN)
- CAN/CGSB-4.2 N° 27.5-2008
- REACG certified manufacturer and assures that materials and processes are free from SVHC
- The DELUXE pad complies with the AS/NZS 8811.1:2013. Methods of testing infant products – Part 1: Sleep surfaces – Test for firmness.
- ASTM D3574-08 Sections 16 through 21 for Indentation Force Deflection. High ratio (= excellent support factor)
There are two main DockATot models:
- DockATot Deluxe+, which comes in nine different designs and, at the time of this writing, costs $195.
- The DockATot Grand, which comes in six different designs and, at the time of this writing, costs $260.
There are also covers for both DockATot models, travel bags, toy and arch sets, and replacement parts.
The DockATot Deluxe+ has been designed for babies up to eight months old, or up to 22 lbs. It is multitasking and multifunctional, providing babies with comfort and safety while having their diapers changed, doing tummy time, cuddling, playing, lounging, resting, or sleeping. This model is highly portable and lightweight, which means it is easy to take along during travel. Different covers can be purchased to personalize the bed as well. It was lovingly designed in Sweden and manufactured in Europe, meeting all the relevant safety standards as mentioned previously. Furthermore, the materials used in the product are all non-toxic and hygienic and they have been purchased from leading suppliers in the world.
The Deluxe+ is the first stage bed and measures 18″ in width, and 29″ in length when the clasps are closed, or 34″ in length when the clasps are open. It weighs just 1400 g, or 50 oz. The DockATot Grand, meanwhile, is the stage 2 dock for babies from nine to 36 months, or between 22 lbs and 40 lbs. This model is designed for anything from resting to cuddling and from lounging to playing. It is equally portable and can hence easily be brought along while on vacation, to different houses, between rooms, and more. Furthermore, as a stage 2 bed, it helps with transitioning out of the crib. Because it has air permeable sides, it is basically fitted with bed rails. This means it is much easier for babies to settle if they have to move into a new, big bed. Again, the materials are fully hypoallergenic, machine washable, and breathable. The Grand measures 24″ in width and 39″ in length when the clasps are closed, or 47″ when the clasps are open. It weighs 2400 g, or 85 oz.
What I Liked About DockATot
- It is beautifully designed and very well-made.
- It is great for travel because it is so portable.
- It helps babies to transition into bigger beds as they grow.
- It allows babies to comfortably nap and sleep.
- The DockATot is highly versatile and sturdy, and it can be used as a carrier, lounger, play area, bed, and more.
- Because the clasps of the DockATot can be opened, babies can continue to use it when they have technically outgrown it, so long as they fit in the width.
- It meets several safety standards, so you know that your baby will be secure while inside their DockATot.
- It has received thousands of positive reviews from parents all over the world.
What I Didn’t Like about DockATot
- The DockATot doesn’t collapse.
- A lot of people find it difficult to clean the DockATot. This is partly due to the fact that it is made up of two separate pieces: the bumper and the mattress. The bumper is very important because this is what makes the bed so snug, stopping babies from rolling out and, in co-sleeping households, stopping the parents from rolling in. While this is an important and fantastic safety feature, it makes it hard to get the cover back on after washing it. If your baby soils the bed during the night, for instance, it is not possible to quickly clean the bed and replace the cover.
- DockATot is quite expensive, particularly when you consider that children will outgrow them. That said, the company does have regular special offers and discounts available and you might want to use those things when you can. The Deluxe+ costs $195 and the Grand costs $260, which is significant. Covers for the Deluxe+ are $60, and for the Grand are $130.
- You cannot return your DockATot once you take it out of the box. This means that, should your baby not like it, you won’t be able to get your money back. Considering its cost, this is quite a big risk to take. Nevertheless, there doesn’t seem to be anybody who hasn’t liked it.
The Final Verdict on DockAToT
Parents all over the world are worried about SIDS, particularly when they are sleeping. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about SIDS sometimes, but there are plenty of things that can be done to minimize the risk of it happening, and one of those things is to let a baby sleep in the DockATot. Made with comfort and safety in mind, it comes in two sizes for growing babies. Designed to mimic the womb, babies almost instantly feel comfortable and secure in it.
The bed is portable, and despite the fact that you cannot collapse the bed, you will find yourself taking it everywhere. The DockATot is also not just for sleeping and resting. You can use it to allow your baby to have a safe tummy time, while under parental supervision. There is something intensely pleasurable about seeing babies feel secure and comfortable while snuggly placed in their bed.
The fact that it enables safe co-sleeping is also very important. Co-sleeping is something many parents want to do, and it has been shown to make babies feel more secure and loved. However, it is also quite dangerous, particularly because there is a dual risk: babies rolling onto their tummy and parents rolling onto their baby. Thanks to the DockATot, both those risks are mitigated.
Yes, the DockATot is expensive, but you can’t put a price on safety. It has received thousands of positive reviews and meets all relevant safety standards in the US, Canada, and Europe. This really is a product that all parents should consider purchasing. 100% recommend.