Are you looking for the best all in one car seat for your baby? Opting for an all-in-one or convertible car seat has several benefits. These car seats are designed to suit the baby from the first days until the baby is grown. Most of them have a lifespan of 10 years, meaning that you won't have to purchase three to four different seats as your child grows.
Convertible seats transform from forward-facing, rear-facing to a booster seat as your toddler grows. Some also convert to highback and backless boosters. With such versatility, it is important that you choose the best all-in-one car seat on the market. Below are some of the best models on the market.
Reviews on the Best All-In-One Car Seat
1. Graco 4Ever DLX Convertible Car Seat – Best Overall
- 4 in 1 car seat gives you 10 years of use: seamlessly transforms from rear facing harness car seat (4 40 pounds), to forward facing harness car seat (22 65 pounds), to high back belt positioning booster (40 100 pounds), to backless belt positioning booster (40 120 pounds)
- Graco protect Plus engineered helps to protect Your little one in frontal, side, rear and rollover crashes
- Simply safe adjust harness system adjusts the height of your harness and headrest to 10 positions in one motion to ensure that Your child is always properly secured.Do not use bleach
- 6 position recline helps keep your growing child comfy on Your many journeys together
- The Graco exclusive In right Latch attachment provides an easy, one second attachment with an audible click to help ensure secure installation
The Graco 4Ever DLX Convertible Car Seat is a highly rated, easily adjustable, and safe car seat with a lifespan of 10 years. Being the best overall seat, it comes with everything you need from a convertible car seat. It is a true all in one seat, which works well for four-pound newborns and 120-pounds kids and every stage.
The seat easily transitions from rear-facing to forward-facing, a high back, and ultimately backless booster. Installing the Graco 4Ever DLX Convertible Car Seat is very easy, as it features a latch that installs to your car's safety belt. It also features a six-position recline with a 10-position adjustable headrest for unmatched comfort.
For easy cleaning, it comes with a machine washable cover, something that most parents appreciate. However, the cover comes with specific cleaning instructions. Therefore, check out the instruction manual before cleaning large messes.
Weight and height requirements of the Graco 4Ever DLX Convertible Car Seat are as follows;
- Rear-facing – 4 to 40lbs
- Forward-facing – 22-65lbs and 27-52"
- Highback booster – 40-100lbs and 38-57"
- Backless booster – 40-120lbs and 40-57"
2. Diono Radian Convertible Car Seat – Best Narrow Car Seat
- JOY OF THE JOURNEY: From birth, keep your little one rear-facing longer to 40 lbs., and as they grow to 100 lbs. (10 years approx.) our long-range lifespan protects your child facing-forward.
- THREES NOT A CROWD: For safety that fits 3 across the Radian 3RXT packs all our innovative safety features into a sleek and slim design that allows you to fit three across (in most mid-size vehicles). Now the whole family can travel, together.Care & Cleaning: Spot or Wipe Clean, Machine Wash
- LOVINGLY ENGINEERED: The Radian 3RXT is built with automotive-strength steel, engineered into a dual spine, which manages and dissipates energy with an unyielding structure to protect your baby. Our audible click SuperLATCH system makes installation easy
- BUSINESS CLASS COMFORT: Inspired by the best in European style, our Radian 3RXT has bright soft fabric covers, and a memory foam seat bottom. Lined with energy absorbing foam, comfort and safety go hand in hand
- MADE OF SEATTLE: We are from Seattle, a city where being different is the norm and so is the Radian 3RXT. It folds flat, so you can travel the world and is FAA approved for use on an aircraft, so you can take safety with you wherever you go.
Ever since, Diano brand of car seats are widely known for their slim design, which explains its ability to fit up to 3 car seats on the back seat. Similarly, the Diono Radian Convertible Car Seat is not an exception. It features a slim profile that accommodates rear-facing babies as small as 5 pounds and big babies, as large as 120pounds when in booster mode.
Some of the favorite features of this car seat include the extended rear-facing abilities, latch system for easy installation, custom-nesting inserts that provide comfort to newborns, and steel core construction. The seat is also available in eight different bright colors, providing parents with unlimited options to choose from.
Weight and height capabilities of this seat include;
- Rear-facing – 5-45lbs and up to 44”
- Forward-facing – 20-65lbs and up to 57”
- Booster – 50-120lbs and up to 57”
3. Evenflo EveryStage DLX Car Seat – Best Easy to Install Seat
- Universal Use: Rear-facing harness, forward-facing harness and belt-positioning booster provides a safe and secure ride for 10 years of use
- Stay Rear-Facing Longer: Adjusts to multiple positions, allowing your toddler to stay rear facing longer, beyond 2 years, without the need to extend the seat or cramp other passengers
- Custom Fit: Comfortably angles child to help minimize head slump and help keep airway open, for a custom, cradled fit
- 10 Positions: 10 total positions allow you to position the seat for an accurate fit for a growing child
- Recline: Provides 3 rear-facing leveling options for improved vehicle fit, and 2 forward-facing recline options for comfort
The Evenflo EveryStage DLX Car Seat is an affordably priced and easy-to-install convertible seat with incredible features. As with other child car seats, it serves from infant rear-facing to high back booster. However, unlike the first seat, it has no backless booster options.
The best feature of this seat is the easy-click latch system, which leverages the built-in ratchet, solving one of the troublesome issues when installing car seats. The seat also features a machine-washable pad with recline options for additional support and minimized head slump. It also comes with cup holders and extended rear-facing adjustment options that provide additional safety.
- Below are the weight and height figures for Evenflo EveryStage DLX Car Seat.
- Rear-facing – 4 to 50lbs and 17-43"
- Forward-facing – 22-65lbs, 28-50", and 2 years old
- Booster – 40-120lbs, 44-58", and 4 years old
4. Maxi-Cosi Magellan XP Convertible Car Seat – Best Comfortable Car Seat
- 10 YEARS of adventure, 1 car seat: The Magellan XP Max all-in-one Convertible Car seat grows with your child and provides a perfect fit from birth to 10 years (5-120 lbs.)
- Keep safety where you need it: adjustable torso side impact protection with 14-position headrest adjustment creates a customized fit for all growth stages: rear-facing, forward-facing, and belt-positioning Booster seat mode.
- Easy to install and use: integrated belt lock-offs designed for simple and secure installation; One-click LATCH connectors install and release easily. Buckles quickly with EZ out harness system and ClipQuik auto-magnetic chest clip.
- One-handed RECLINE AND EASY ADJUST: 7-positions to choose from; HideAway seat belt harness makes it a breeze to transform into a booster car seat.
- Extra comfortable RIDE: The premium, machine washable fabrics and padding provide the most comfort for your child during the ride.
For a price tag significantly lower than the Nuna EXEC but higher than the Graco, the Maxi-Cosi Magellan XP Convertible Car Seat is a solid choice for parents looking for comfort, safety, and luxury features in their car seat. Like other all-in-one seats, it transforms from a forward-facing to extended rear-facing and ultimately a booster.
Even with its versatility, converting from one configuration to another is overly intuitive. You will also like the comfort features of the Maxi-Cosi Magellan XP Convertible Car Seat, including the extra cushioning, seven-position recline, wicking fabric, and 14-position headrest. Other incredible safety features include the headrest with adjustable side impact protection.
Weight requirements include;
- Rear-facing – 5-40lbs
- Forward-facing – 22-65lbs
- Booster – 40-120lbs
What to Look For In the Best All-in-One Car Seats
As mentioned, all-in-one car seats remain functional from the child's birth until he/she fits regular car seats. Therefore, you should find a good-quality seat that works perfectly at all stages. Consider the following features;
- Ease of use – a good car seat should be easy to install. The included latch connectors should have a simple push. It should also come with reclining positions with level indicators to ease reclining.
- Comfort and performance – ensure that the car seat is generously padded. It should also have multiple harness and headrest adjustment positions.
- Safety features – safety should be a priority when purchasing car seats. Fortunately, all modern models have safety measures that match the standard federal safety guidelines.
With various features to consider, finding the best convertible car seat can be challenging. However, this process shouldn't be a nightmare, especially for parents who spend a lot of time in the car, either shopping, traveling, or enjoying their vacation. Apart from the factors outlined above, consider a budget-friendly seat that can be passed down and has high weight limits. This makes it possible to use the seat for several years without compromise. The models mentioned above can be a good starting point when searching for these products.
Last update on 2021-09-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API