Are you looking for great holiday gifts for your preschooler that he/she can enjoy while learning? In the current world with self-driving cars and tiny supercomputers, proficiency in STEM subjects, including science, technology, engineering, and math, is crucial. This is why finding a STEM toy for your toddler is probably the best way to encourage your kid to venture into exploration, building, and innovation at a young age. Playing with these toys leaves a lasting impact on your child’s thought process, problem solving, and creativity. That said, below are some of the best STEM toys for your 3-year old.
Reviews of the Best STEM Toys for 3-Year Old's
1. Magformers Maggy’s House Magnetic Play Set
Finding STEM engineering toys that suit girls is not easy compared to engineering toys for boys. However, the Magformers Maggy’s House Magnetic Play Set is a colorful set that allows your daughter to build structures from the ground. Buying such STEM toys for girls is important as it encourages girls to consider taking on science courses.
The toy presents multiple ways for your kid to build and decorate their buildings. This 33-piece magnetic set helps your 3-year old to develop better fine motor and problem-solving skills. Note that the Magformers Maggy’s House Magnetic Play Set is gender-neutral, and kids looking to configure a dog house or any other structure can enjoy their playtime.
2. Learning Resources Jumbo Magnifiers Toy
- These extra large magnifiers put science into big time view for young children
- Teachers can introduce early scientific exploration and investigation with a tool that real scientists use
- Sized perfectly for small hands
- Ideal for taking a closer look at critters, rocks, fabric and so much more
- Ages 3+
The Learning Resources Jumbo Magnifiers Toy is a great STEM toy to introduce your toddler to early investigation and exploration. The toy provides a great way for your kid to closely examine plants, insects, and animals through life science lessons. The toy features a magnifying glass that is easy to hold and does not shatter easily.
The toy features a large lens that can be used to inspect plants and bugs in the house or outdoors. It also has comes with a foldout stand that enables toddlers to appreciate hands-free magnifications. This encourages your little budding scientist to get up close with nature, even if it means watching ants and small insects in your backyard.
3. Fisher-Price Think & Learn Code-a-Pillar
- 1 motorized head and 8 easy-to-connect segments for endless combinations!
- Kids connect the segments to make Code-a-pillar go forward, left, right or wherever they choose
- Each segment lights up as the action happens!
- Motorized head segment features lights, fun character sounds and blinking eyes to bring Code-a-pillar to life!
- Can you reach the target? Challenge kids to configure the segments so Code-a-pillar can get to the targets and reach their goals
The Fisher-Price Think & Learn Code-a-Pillar is a great STEM toy for 3-year olds, especially if you want to introduce them to programming. The toy features one-motorized head and 8 easily connectable segments that provide endless combinations. Kids can connect various segments to extend the pillar forward, right, left, or whatever direction they choose.
As mentioned, the toy has more than 1000 possible combinations, allowing your toddler to explore as much as they can. Preschoolers can adjust the dials on the caterpillar’s segments, creating a sequence that sends the toy to a programmed path with forward, right, and left moves.
The toy encourages your toddler to experiment while playing, imparting essential skills such as problem-solving, planning, critical thinking, and sequencing.
4. LeapFrog Count along Register Toy
- Count on big learning fun with a singing register pal that counts, talks and sings—20 checkout items included! Requires 3 AAA batteries (included for product demonstration only; replace for home use). for ages 2 and up.
- Counting and imaginative role play combine with a register pal that comes to life with 50+ fun phrases and educational songs. Spunky, singing register has plenty of numbers, counting and role play skills in store.
- Set up your store! Place food items on a table or shelves, give your customers their coins, and invite them on a shopping spree! Shop for milk and eggs. Scan the carrots. Insert the correct amount of coins or swipe a shopping card.
- Total button tells you how many coins to insert in the count-along coin slot. Shop along to cool sounds and fun songs.
- Includes cash register, 8 colorful food pieces, 10 coins and a shopping card. Skills learned include colors, counting, and numbers.
The LeapFrog Count along Register Toy is a great option if you are looking for a dramatic toy with STEM education for your toddler. The toy rings up counting skills and pretend play from this talking and singing cash register. It comes to life with a light-up face, scanning beeps, and fun comments. Kids can explore counting and color combinations while running their pretend stores.
For instance, toddlers can play as cashiers or customer in the supermarket with their friends. The multiple buttons also enable them to explore their counting skills as they count products to practice early math skills. As if not enough, toddlers can press the colorful food icons to learn more about the nutritious items, listen to songs, and more.
5. Edushape Magic Brix Giant Set Toy
- DEVELOP MOTOR SKILLS: Easy-grip pieces assist in development of fine-motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- ENHANCE LOGIC AND REASONING: Build logic and reasoning skills through stacking, connecting, and building
- SENSORY ENGAGEMENT: Unique texture turns playtime into a sensory activity, allowing for tactile sensory development
- VISUALLY STIMULATING: Colorful pieces in multiple shapes encourage development of shape and color recognition
- Contains 360 pieces; Recommended for ages 3 years and up; Edushape products are made with BPA and phthalate free plastic
The Edushape Magic Brix Giant Set Toys are made from soft and flexible knobby shapes that easily interlock from all sides. Your tiny builder can create multiple construction sets, ranging from cars, robots, houses, furniture, and any other structure they may have in mind. The pieces are great for developing hand-eye coordination and fine-motor skills. Creating new building designs also enhances logical reasoning.
What to Look for in Stem Toys for 3-Years Old Kids
Toddler STEM toys range from inexpensive building blocks to highly-priced electronics. However, not all can suit your toddler. Consider the following to find an appropriate STEM toy for your kid.
- Age-appropriate – as you may know, STEM toys are categorized according to age. Therefore, try resisting the urge to buy your toddler a STEM toy below or above his/her age. Age is important as it determines if the toy is safe and developmentally appropriate for your kid to play with.
- Material quality – your toddler will easily destroy STEM toys made from low-quality materials. They will also not hold up to constant wear and tear. Therefore, find quality-made toys that are safe.
- Ease of use – STEM toys, like other toys, are successful if they catch your kid's attention. However, this becomes impossible if the toy is very complicated.
- Safety – this is an essential consideration, keeping in mind that toddlers can easily swallow anything. Besides swallowing, consider the safety of the material and paint used in its construction.
STEM toys are undoubtedly important in stimulating the development of your toddler in the right direction. The wide variety offers multiple variants, which encourages your child to be innovative and decide the result of his/her construction. They stimulate creativity and imagination from all the sensory parts of the brain. However, they can only be effective if you find the right toy. Check out the list above for some of the best 3-year old STEM toys.
Last update on 2021-04-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API