Adults and kids alike learn best through hands-on learning experiences. Therefore, beginner or advanced programmers venturing into robotics can benefit immensely from STEM robotics kits. STEM friendly robotics kits provide a great introduction to the fundamental concepts of engineering, such as designing, building, testing, coding, and development. Engaging children with such kits provide a natural way of learning and skills application. That said, below are the best STEM robotics kits that will inspire your child.
Reviews of the Best STEM Robotics Kits
1. Lego Boost Robot
- Who doesn't love robots? Introduce kids to the creative world of coding with the best educational STEM toys to foster their curiosities. Building, learning, and programming robots has never been more fun!
- Includes 847 LEGO pieces that kids can build and rebuild into 5 cool multifunctional models. The best and most popular robotics toys for 7-12 year old boys and girls who love to tinker and learn about science. Use the latest tech like color, distance and tilt sensors.
- Construct and code Vernie the Robot to dance, rock out on the Guitar4000, foster Frankie the Cat, interact with the Autobuilder, or explore a new discovery with the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4). The IQ-boosting activities are endless!
- Award-winning toy and the perfect gift for kids and teenagers. Instructions for all 5 models are included with the free LEGO BOOST app. Download in the Amazon Appstore: amazon.com/dp/B075LL7KGB. Requires 6x AAA 1.5V batteries (not included).
- Vernie the Robot stands over 10" (27cm) tall, Guitar4000 over 1” (5cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide, Frankie the Cat over 6” (17cm) tall, AutoBuilder over 10” (27cm) high, M.T.R.4 over 4” (12cm) high, 9” (23cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
The Lego Boost Robot is among the best STEM robot for kids and young children, especially those who already got used to the Lego building blocks. The kit features 847 Lego bricks, a Lego move hub with two built-in motors, and one motor light sensor. With many bricks, the kit can be modified into 5 forms. To make it functional, simply install the Boost app on your smartphone to start building and coding.
To encourage children to learn, Lego created a simple yet deep and fun app. It also comes with a video game type system, which turns the creation process into a game.
Conclusively, this LEGO Boost Robot is one of the best choice for beginners in robotics due to its simplicity which is really compatible for kids.
2. Nintendo Labo Variety Kit
- The Variety Kit includes five different projects to Make, Play, and Discover: two Toy-Con RC Cars, a Toy-Con Fishing Rod, a Toy-Con House, a Toy-Con Motorbike, and a Toy-Con Piano!
- Bring each Toy-Con creation to life with the power of the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con controllers
- Discover the fun of customizing Toy-Con creations with your own stickers, markers, paint, new parts, and other original crafting ideas
- Experiment with a fun and powerful in-game visual tool in Toy-Con Garage, where you connect input, output, and middle nodes to create your own basic or elaborate ideas for Toy-Con creations!
- A free software update is available for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, allowing you to use the Toy-Con Motorbike to control your in-game vehicles. Enjoy every game mode and every vehicle type with this immersive, interactive controller option that makes you feel like you’re really in the driver’s seat! (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold separately)
The Nintendo Labo Variety Kit is an excellent robotics kit that taps into your child’s creative mind and artistry. With the kit, your kid can build and personalize toy-con creations using stickers, markers, and more. Children also begin engineering various projects using cardboards, which are eco-friendly, before customizing with markers.
All the projects connect to Nintendo Switch, which brings life to this mini-game. For your enthusiastic little engineer, the Nintendo Labo Variety Kit gives them a great option of being creative and build their designs from items around your house while easily connecting them to the game.
This Nintendo Labo Variety Kit is an excellent choice when it comes to stimulating your child's imagination due to the variety of customization choices and its capability to connect your child's projects to a Nintendo switch.
3. ELEGOO UNO R3 Project Smart Robot Car Kit
- ELEGOO Smart Robot Car: An educational STEM kit beginners (kids) to get hands-on experience about programming, electronics assembling and robotics knowledge. It is an integration solution for robotics learning and made for education.
- Complete Package: Contains 24 kinds of module parts including obstacle avoidance, line tracing module, infrared remote control and also you can control it via phone and tablets of Android and iOS system, etc.
- Easy to Assemble: All the module interface has been modified with XH2. 54 ports as to make it much easier and convenient to assemble the car and reduce the chances for errors.
- Refined Tutorial in CD: HD rendering instructions on how to assemble the robot car from scratch and all the necessary programs and codes are included.
- Upgraded Package Design: More minimalism design and make it a perfect gift for your kids and friends. Note：(Applicable Age : 12+)To use Elegoo starter kits requires basic electronic knowledge. If the user has no experience, it would be better to have someone lead and teach them while studying.
The ELEGOO UNO R3 Project Smart Robot Car Kit is an advanced robotic car kit with interesting features. It comes with an updated design, which makes it user friendly and perfect for introducing your child into the world of engineering. It comes with multiple modes, which keep your child entertained for hours.
The robotics package comes with 24 parts, which are easy to assemble. After assembly, your child can use iOS or Android phones to control their new smart device remotely. With infrared, obstacle, and line tracking mode, your child will learn the best ways to create, load, and run car’s programming. It also comes with endless options to explore, which gives your child something to discover every time.
Conclusively, the multiple modes, HD instructions and features mentioned for this ELEGOO UNO R3 Project Smart Robot Car Kit is one of the best choice to boost your child's STEM.
4. BUTECH JIMU Robot Builderbots Kit
- Introducing buildable, codable Robots from UBTECH Robotics construct DozerBot, DirtBot or design your own JIMU Robot creation.
- Learn to use Blockly coding to program your robot to navigate obstacles, carry objects, create color effects and more.
- Test your skills with new Blockly coding challenges
- Create entirely new, custom actions with the PRP (pose, record, play) function.
- No tools required – our 3D, 360° animated building instructions walk you through the steps.
The BUTECH JIMU Robot Builderbots Kit is another excellent robotics kit to take your programming and engineering skills a notch higher. It comes with no assembly tools, making it easy to build a rolling and navigating robot within a short time. You can build two robots with this model, the DigBot and GrabberBot.
The kit features a 3D animated construction, which guides you through the building process. After the design and construction, your child will be in for fun programming, moving the robot around the room, picking objects, and more. The best part about the BUTECH JIMU Robot Builderbots Kit is the servo motors, which provide the utmost flexibility and fluid-like movements.
You can also download and connect the app to share your creations and discoveries with other young engineers.
All in all this BUTECH JIMU Robot Builderbots Kit along with its 3D animated construction and easy to assemble features definitely makes STEM learning easy and fun for your kids.
5. Erector Meccano Robot Building Kit
- ROBOTICS BUILDING KIT: Inside the Intro to Robotics re-usable container, future engineers will find real electronic components like a micro servo, infrared sensor, high torque motor, BLE smart control and hundreds of parts and tools to bring their robotic creations to life! As kids experiment with robotics, they’ll practically apply the concepts of S.T.E.A.M. in a fun way!
- CONSTRUCT WITH REAL TOOLS AND THE MAKER TOOL: With the versatile Maker Tool, inventors can turn any material, even recyclable items, into a part for their creations! Equipped with a hole punch and screw gauge, it’s easy to create from cardboard, foam, plastic and more!
- ENDLESS BUILDING POSSIBILITIES: Follow the instructions to build robotic creations one way, use the 12 blueprints for inspiration to make new builds or invent any way you want! Keep all parts in one place with the re-usable case, then build, disassemble and build again and again!
- The Erector by Meccano Intro to Robotics S.T.E.A.M. Innovation Set makes a great gift for kids aged 10 and up. Requires 4 AA batteries (not included). Works with all Innovation Sets. With Erector by Meccano, building is just the beginning!
- Includes: 296 Parts, 12 Blueprints, 1 BLE Smart Control, 1 Infrared/Ambient Light Sensor, 1 Battery Housing, 1 High Torque Motor, 1 Micro Servo, 1 Maker Tool, 2 Real Tools, 1 Instruction Sheet
If your kid is obsessed with phones and computers, the Erector Meccano Robot Building Kit provides the best way to get them out and encourage them to make some friends. The kit is a fully programmable robot with more than 3000 programmed phrases, exciting dance moves, and LED eyes.
With its advanced dynamics, the Erector Meccano Robot Building Kit is the best way to introduce your fifth grade and middle schoolers to engineering. It comes with more than 1000 parts, providing the much-needed challenge to keep your child hooked-up for hours. The final result of the challenge is a funny robot that will keep your child entertained for hours.
The Erector Meccano Robot Building Kit is a solid choice for introducing your child to engineering due to its advanced dynamics along with its programmable robot with numerous features.
Tips to Choose the Best STEM Robotics Kits
With the plethora of options available, choosing the best STEM robotics kit is challenging. Besides a thorough online search, consider the following features.
- Package – consider a robotics kit that comes as a complete package. It should feature all you need to build and program a robot.
- Assembly instructions – assembling a robot can be quite challenging. Therefore, consider a model that comes with clearly outlined assembly instructions and a step-by-step guide for beginners. Such information might be provided in a booklet or app.
- Open-ended structure – your STEM robotics of choice should provide flexibility. You should be able to build various robot examples and designs.
- Expandability – to build more robot designs with your kit, the kit should feature and integrate with extra packs and parts purchased separately.
STEM robotics kit are an important toy addition if you want to stimulate your kid’s mind. Before making a purchase, make sure that your choice fits your kid’s age. From the models listed, different models suit children of specific age groups. Besides purchasing already assembled robotics kits, you can decide to build your own robot. However, this is possible for those who have used robotics kits before and know the essential components and electronics required. If you decide this route, you can use the many online tutorials and source codes to build your own robot. For beginners, choose one of the models from the top picks listed above.
Last update on 2020-11-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API