Family Ski Vacation Spots
Skiing and snowboarding are very popular pastimes worldwide. Here are some suggestions of great places internationally to shred that snow.
- Kitzbuhel, Austria. Enjoy the scenic beauty of a 700 year old Austrian village commonly called ‘The Pearl of the Alps.’ Skiing has flourished here since the winter of 1892 and it was host the 1964 and the 1976 Winter Olympic Games.
- Stowe, Vermont. Arguably the best ski spot on the USA’s east coast, Stowe provides the biggest vertical drop in the region and good old-fashioned New England charm. It’s picturesque and unique in that it has a lift-link to another nearby resort.
- Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, France. Chamonix hosted the very first Winter Olympic Games in 1924 and boasts the highest peak in the world at 15,771 ft. It also has one of the world’s longest ski runs at 13.7 miles.
- Cortina, Italy. Cortina is home to one of the world’s first ski resorts and knows alpine charm and style better than anyone. It was host to the Winter Olympic Games in 1956 and has been compared to Zermatt, Switzerland with a bit more panache.
- Alta, USA. Located thirty minutes from Salt Lake City, Utah, Alta boasts some of the very best skiing in the world. In fact Utah license plates claim to have ‘The Best Snow on Earth’ due to an unusual weather condition called the ‘Lake Effect’ which produces a particularly fluffy powdered snow. Snowboarding is not allowed here however, but snowboard-friendly Snowbird is right next door.